The Wisdom of God's Counsels "O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God!" Rom. 11:33.
1. Some apprehend the wisdom and the knowledge of God to mean one and the same thing. Others believe that the wisdom of God more directly refers to his appointing the ends of all things; and his knowledge, to the means which he hath prepared and made conducive to t ...read
The Witness of our own Spirit "This is our rejoicing, the testimony of out conscience, that in simplicity and godly sincerity, not with fleshly wisdom, but by the grace of God, we have had our conversation in the world." (2 Cor. 1:12.)
1. Such is the voice of every true believer in Christ, so long as he abides in faith and love. "He that followeth me," saith our Lord, "w ...read
The Witness of the Spirit - Part 1 "The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God." Rom. 8:16
1. How many vain men, not understanding what they spake, neither whereof they affirmed, have wrested this Scripture to the great loss if not the destruction of their souls! How many have mistaken the voice of their own imagination for this witness of ...read
The Witness of the Spirit - Part 2 "The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God." Rom. 8:l6
I. 1. None who believe the Scriptures to be the word of God, can doubt the importance of such a truth as this; -- a truth revealed therein, not once only, not obscurely, not incidentally; but frequently, and that in express terms; but solemnly and of ...read
True Christianity Defended [The following Sermon was found in a mutilated manuscript among ~Mr. Wesley's papers. It is dated June 24, 1741. A Latin copy of the same Discourse has also been discovered. ~Mr. Pawson, with great care, copied the former, and I have supplied the deficiencies out of the latter. On collating both Sermo~ns, I find several variations, and though not ...read
Walking by Sight, and Walking by Faith "We walk by faith, not by sight." 2 Cor. 5:7.
1. How short is this description of real Christians! And yet how exceeding full! It comprehends, it sums up, the whole experience of those that are truly such, from the time they are born of God till they remove into Abraham's bosom. For, who are the we that are here spoken of? All that are true Ch ...read
Wandering Thoughts 'Bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.'
2 Cor. 5:5.
1. But will God so 'bring every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,' that no wandering thought will find a place in the mind, even while we remain in the body? So some have vehemently maintained; yea, have affirmed that none are perfected in love unle ...read
Wandering Thoughts "Bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ." 2 Cor. 5:5.
1. But will God so "bring every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ," that no wandering thought will find a place in the mind, even while we remain in the body? So some have vehemently maintained; yea, have affirmed that none are perfected in love un ...read
What is Man? "When I consider thy heaven, the work of thy fingers, the moon and stars, which thou hast ordained; what is man?" Psalm 8:3, 4.
How often has it been observed, that the Book of Psalms is a rich treasury of devotion, which the wisdom of God has provided to supply the wants of his children in all generations! In all ages the Psalms have been of s ...read
What is Man? "What is man?" Psa. 8:4.
1. Nay, what am I? With God's assistance, I would consider myself. Here is a curious machine, "fearfully and wonderfully made." It is a little portion of earth, the particles of which cohering, I know not how, lengthen into innumerable fibres, a thousand times finer than hairs. These, crossing each other in all direc ...read